Here is all the gear and music products that I use on a dad-to-day basis for practice, teaching and performance.
My Main Gigging Gear
This is my main and preferred gigging gear.
Current Musical Gear - 2018-2019
The following are my main instruments and related gear:
I have two Ko'olau CS (Contemporary Series) Model Tenor Ukuleles of these amazing instruments with a cedar top and rosewood sides and backs. One delivered November 2009 and one from February 2017. These are my main performance ukuleles for everything. Both with a low G. Basically a number one and a backup being groomed and in-training.
For a details and nitty gritty regarding the strings I use checkout this Ask Curt page response: What Ukulele Strings Do You Use?
- Ko'olau CS Model Tenor Ukulele ( strings: Savarez Alliance Red Card classical guitar strings and/or Ko'olau Alohi'. • ( low-G, C Tuning ), I have two of theses.
The Rest of the `Ukulele Gang
- Lanakia All Koa Tenor - This is made in the USA ( Hawai`i ) ukulele. • ( high-G, C Tuning ) ( Temporary solution till I get a comparable Kamaka tenor or another Martin to replace it )
- Pono Pro Classic Thinline solid-body tenor and baritone ukulele. Pretty much any Pono and Pono Pro Classic instruments is better then most mass produced ukuleles. • ( low-G, C Tuning )
- Magic Fluke Koa Tenor . • ( low-G, C Tuning )
A Few Past Favorites and some that are currently for sale.
- Martin IZ Mahogany Tenor. • ( high-G, C Tuning ) - SOLD
This was and is an amazing instrument. Probably have to get another one at some time. Or another 3K that I also had and let go.
Keep trying to get Martin to let us, Funky Frets be a ukulele only dealer.
- Mya-Moe Classic Tenor. • ( low-G, C Tuning ) - SOLD ( $2700 )
- Custom Funky Frets made Tele® ( pictured here ) with D'Addarrio .011s and a Fishman Fluence Signature Series Greg Koch Gristle-Tone™ Pickup Set .
This is a great Tele - so much so that my American Elite Tele (2016) is now for sale.
- American Archtop Legend 7 String Archtop guitar by Dale Unger strung with Thomastik Ifield Bebop .014s - For SALE ( $8000 )
This guitar is not getting the love and playing that I needs since I've been committed to ukulele. Needs a good home and get played.
- Takamine P1M Acoustic - Cedar top with rosewood backs and sides. It is strung with Martin Lifespan 80/20 Bronze 12s or 13s.
Play this guitar more than any other I have. Used a lot in lessons with students.
- Fender American Elite Telacaster® with Thomastik Ifield Infeld .010s or 011s For SALE ( $1700 ) - not using since we made our own Tele - actually never really used it.
Here are the strings that I typically use on my guitars and ukulele.
Both the Ko'olau, Pono and MyaMoe ukuleles have a radius fingerboard which does make a big difference in ease of playing. The Ko'olau, Pono and MyaMoe are all strung with a low G. For high G, C tuning I grab an American made all Koa Lanakia. Other than Pono I've only found the Godin Multiuke to have a radius fingerboard in a mass produced ukulele.
And with our own music store, ( Funky Frets, Boyertown, PA USA ) – that is naturally, heavy into ukuleles and over 100 ukuleles in stock at all times. I'm in a position to play pretty much what I want — but it's the Ko'olau CS Tenor that gets the most action. That and a Pono solid-body are the only performance ukuleles I perform with in concert.
For amplifiers I use an AER Compact 60 as my main amp for any acoustic instruments (guitar and ukulele) and it works great withthe Tele and bass. Backups and if I need a PA include Fishman SA220 PA or one of the Fishman Loudbox series of amplifiers. No effects and for a DI I only use Fire-Eye , L.R. Baggs , Radial Engineering or Fishman . I really like to keep the gear simple. No endorsements or artist models for me. I like to make my own choices and not be locked in to or be put in a position to recommend a specific brand of gear. The same gear as I have will never make you sound like me and I'll never sound like me by using your gear.
For guitars I have an American Archtop Legand 7 String ( - For SALE ( $8000 ) ) that is my main jazz guitar as well as the custom Tele my daughter and myself made / put together ( see above ).
FREE Bronze Plan - A limited selection of basic lessons ( currently over 140 ) and 100+ songs for ukulele as well as basic general music reference material — Completely FREE — Simply Register/Signup to access associated lessons, books, songs and their related assets.
NOTE: Each higher membership level includes ALL the benefits of the lower membership levels.
The Private Lesson Plans include all the benefits of a Premium Access Plans as long as you remain a student on on the schedule.
Just browsing over both books, they look fantastic! I'm a guitarist and uke player for over 25 years and was thinking about writing a ukulele book but you've already written what I think are the best, most comprehensive and thorough books I've ever seen for the instrument. I just might end up buying every book you've written and I'll be giving my highest recommendation for your books to my friends and students. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such great books! — Peter Rhee
Aloha, Curt, All I can say is WOW! What you have accomplished is simply incredible! All the best — Glen Hirabayashi, The Aloha Boys
Folks, if you haven't stopped by Curt's site, do so right now! ..And get his books, they are fantastic. This guy knows his stuff and is able to pass it along too. — Alan Johnson Proprietor, The 4th Peg
I can highly recommend Curt's Uke books — I have four of them and they are excellent. — fatveg — Portland
Thanks for visiting and checking out the site!
Original Curtie Animation - 1987 for my first web site
31 years ago years ago.
LearningUkulele.com has one of the largest collections of lessons, songs, and TABS, luthiers, ukulele builders, ukulele festival and club information, and, ukulele links on the web. I’ve been on the ®Internet since the early 1990's and This site just never stops growing!!!
Content is added and updated almost daily - so check back often.