This is where I – (Curt) will hopefully keep you
updated on the pages that have been changed, added, or been edited. For Lessons
, and Books
checkout their respective home pages.
20 years of LearningUkulele.com & Learning Ukulele with Curt.
- UPDATED and this Week's Featured Lesson: Major Arpeggios in Five Positions • When it comes to chords, it's important to understand the notes they consist of and their intervals. Each chord is made up of a combination of specific notes, and the intervals between these notes determine the chord's quality and character. By learning the names and intervals of the notes in a chord, you can understand its structure and how it functions within a particular musical context.
- NEW UPDATED Added Tiny Tim to the Ukulele History Timeline .
- NEW UPDATED updated ALL festival listings I could and added a few new one.
- NEW UPDATED and Expanded, 2nd Edition of QuickStart Scale Fingerings for Ukulele, Volume I, C Tuning book. THis is a FREE version for ALL Premium Members. However, anyone can view the entire book online, albeit a smaller version depending on your computer screen.
- NEW UPDATED leadsheets for the Bobby Timmons's classic, Moanin' . Now includes bot the original key of Fm chart matching the Premium Play-along track and a Ukulele friendly key of Cm leadsheet.
- NEW Added Ryan's Ukes to the Ukulele Luthiers listing. I, (Curt) meet Ray at the 2023 Allegheny Ukulele Soirée and he builds some amazing ukulele.
- UPDATED • LESSONSeries Churning through the songs in the the songs in the Daily Ukulele (the Yellow Book) and performing an harmonic analysis on selected songs (70+ done as of May 1st) using the principles from my (Curt) book: Harmonic Analysis for Scale and Chord Selection . Checkout the Daily Ukulele Song Index for the songs that are done. We'll be adding songs as they are done. Let Curt if there are any songs you would like tackled.
- NEW • LESSONSeries Added Giant Steps and Lullabye Of Birdland Harmonic Analysis for Scale and Chord Selection worksheets.
- UPDATED • LESSONSeries Going through the songs in the the songs in the Daily Ukulele (the Yellow Book) and performing an harmonic analysis on selected songs (50+ done as of April 3) using the principles from my (Curt) book: Harmonic Analysis for Scale and Chord Selection . Checkout the Daily Ukulele Song Index for the songs that are done. We'll be adding songs as they are done. Let Curt if there are any songs you would like tackled.
- NEW • LESSONSeries Harmonic Analysis for Scale and Chord Selection to the songs in the Daily Ukulele (the Yellow Book). Over the source of 2023 I'll (Curt) will be going through the songs in the Daily Ukulele books and performing a Harmonic Analysis of the songs. This is a great way to compare how songs are constructed and how I determine when to add, fix or change chords to a song. Visit the Daily Ukulele Song Index for the first songs I've tacked. (25 March 2023 Update: 51 songs done.
- UPDATED • LESSONSeries Harmonic Analysis for Scale and Chord Selection added audio examples of various common Full Diatonic chord progressions .
- UPDATED • Site Terms and Conditions/Policy .
- UPDATED • LESSONSeries Harmonic Analysis for Scale and Chord Selection lessons series is being updated with all the PDF content being viewable online. All the content for the book, Harmonic Analysis for Scale and Chord Selection book has always been available for viewing using the Online PDF Viewer. Over the course of the next few weeks all the content will be available viewable online with additional content added.
- NEW • Every wanted to know just how to warmup for a performance or the local jam? A new Lessons Series has been stated with some tips and tricks that the pros us LESSONSeries Warm Up Routines .
- NEW • Related Books and Workshops have been added to ALL LESSONSeries .
- UPDATED • UKULELELesson Ukulele Chords – Triads, Strings 1 2 3 .
- UPDATED • Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow and said six more weeks of winter.
- UPDATED • Waiting for Punxsutawney Phil to let us know (Northeast USA) is we have six more weeks of winter.
We'll let you know the result February 2nd, Ground Hoq Day.
WikipediA : Punxsutawney Phil is the name given to a groundhog residing in Young Township near Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, who is the central figure in Punxsutawney's annual Groundhog Day celebration. The Groundhog Day celebration is rooted in a Celtic and Germanic tradition that says that if a hibernating animal casts a shadow on February 2, the pagan holiday of Imbolc (known among Christians as Candlemas), winter and cold weather will last another six weeks. If no shadow is seen, legend says, spring will come early. In Germany, the tradition evolved into a myth that if the sun came out on Candlemas, a hedgehog would cast its shadow, predicting snow all the way into May. When German immigrants settled in Pennsylvania, they transferred the tradition onto local fauna, replacing hedgehogs with groundhogs. Several other towns in the region hold similar Groundhog Day events.
There are quite a few towns that have their own ground hog seasonal prognosticator: Balzac Billy, Balzac, Alberta, Canada • Milltown Mel, Milltown, New Jersey, USA, General Beauregard Lee, George, USA for Southern USA • Staten Island Chuck, Staten Island, New York City, USA.
- NEW • Added Bonanza Ukuleles to the Instrument Manufactures & Luthiers listings. Couldn't find any place on their site for what state they live in. Do know they are in the USA.
- UPDATED • Updates to Open Position Chords and Their Movable Forms Series . This is a great companion to the Learn A Chord A Day Series .
- NEW • Added Triad information to January's Chord a Day chords .
- NEW • Finally got around to implementing Instant PDF Downloads when buying a PDF (working through getting all PDFs for instant download.) to the site. I no longer have to be sure to catch an email that a PDF has been purchased. You will get an email with a download link right after purchase to download the file.
- UPDATED • The Learn a New Chord Each Day!!! series has been updated with the common Harmonic Functions of the chords This series was started 2013 and has been added to and updated each year ever since.
- NEW • Added Root Position piano chords to January's The Learn a New Chord Each Day!!! . This is great for adding a bit of piano to your repertoire. Especially with the ability to do your own home recording. The later great jazz ukulele player, Lyle Ritz , one of the Wrecking Crew session bassists. Did the bass on a his CD, No Frills ukulele CD on a MIDI keyboard direct into a MacBook.
- UPDATED QuickStart Play-along Tracks pages updated for the Six Essential Scales . Checkout the FREE QuickStart Play-along Track: Blues .
- NEW UPDATED • Checkout the Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge for a portable, great sounding acoustic amp for your ukulele. There is a reason any Fishman it's my main backup choice for my (Curt's) gigging gear. One-third the price of my AER Compact 60 and a lot more portable. It's the main amp we recommend and sell at our family music store: Funky Frets Music Store home of the Annual Funky Frets Uke Fest in Boyertown, PA USA.
- UPDATED The following have bee updated: Dominant Seventh Chords? , Every Finger, Every String , How Playing an Instrument Benefits Your Brain - Anita Collins , Harmonic Analysis - Chord Substitution Principles , and many more….
- UPDATED Tahitian Ukulele or Tahitian Banjo page updated.
LearningUkulele.com Help section
. Finally got some time to overhaul and update the
Helpsection of the site.
- UPDATED Introduction to Soloing on `Ukulele Using Scales and Triads Plus One .
- UPDATED Amplifying Your Ukulele & Amplifying Your Ukulele: Manufactures .
- UPDATED Ear Training – Pitch Recognition lesson page updated with a few new songs to use for identifying intervals.
- UPDATED 2023 Festivals Being Updated • Going through all the listed festivals for 2022 and checking for 2023 dates. If anyone knows of a festival that is missing from LearningUkulele.com, please let me know. We do have the best collection of festival listings on the web . Don't want to miss any festivals, as more are coming back live.
- UPDATED Going through and adding Open Position Chords to a lot of songs .
- UPDATED the FREE Open Position Chords lesson.
- UPDATED added open position chords to the Pink Panther song lesson.
- NEW Sent out the first Site Newsletter in a long time. Goal is to keep site members better informed.
- NEW Endless tweaking of the site navigation continues. With sooooooo much available on LearningUkulele.com navigation and organization is an endless battle. Remember that Using Search is always a great option — let the computer do what it is good at doing.
- UPDATED Added new lesson: Mixolydian Progressions to the Common Chord Progressions and Remembering Songs series of lessons.
- NEW Added a ukulele leadsheet for the 1967 Turtles song: Happy Together . Cool song using the common The Andalusian Chord Progression .
- NEW Notation & Recording Software page of resources for Music Notation and Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software.
- NEW Songs: Musician's Guitar to Distribution & Digital Distribution by Dr. Allen Phd.
- NEW Guest lesson: How to Spell `Ukulele by Patrick Moffitt.
- NEW Added Pau Hana Ukuleles by Tom Russell Kailua Kona, HI USA.
- UPDATED My (Curt's) String Recommendations on the Ukulele Strings . My custom set I put together is available now.
- NEW Added the Fats Waller song Ain't Misbehaven' . This is the song that the Funky Frets Uke Players are performing to open the 2022 Funky Frets Uke Fest , in Boyertown, PA USA October 7, 2022.
- UPDATED The Latest News page has been updated.
- UPDATED Glossary of Music Terms
- NEW • The ukulele is all about community and sharing. And, what better place to develop the LearningUkulele.com community than with its own LearningUkulele.com Discord server Chime in and help grow the LearningUkulele.com community.
• Back to School SALE In the Northern Hemisphere this is the
Back to Schoolseason. Vacations are over and everyone is settling into their new routine. Starting September 1st there is a sale on the Forever Premium Site Membership. and save $80 (USD). This IS a great deal that I don't know how long I'll run it.
- NEW • Tag any listing as a favorite for later recall. Favorite can be accessed from your User Profile
- UPDATED • Lots of updated site sections. Getting to updating all the festival site for their dates for 2023 that I run across. I'm visiting previous festivals to see if they are doing 2023. Let me know of any to visit and add or updated on teh site.
- UPDATED • The Copyright Resources & Links .
- UPDATED • The Ukulele Strings pages.
- UPDATED • The FAQ page. FAQ pages and GLossary pages are a great resources for information and little tidbits of musical knowledge that can go a long way in enhancing your enjoyment of music and your chose instruments(s).
- UPDATED • The Blues pages. Added a few blues style descriptions. Will be adding a further analysis of the styles for playing on ukulele. Updated the Repertoire, Improvisation page.
- UPDATED • July and August has seen massive amounts of work and changes go into LearningUkulele.com / Learning Ukulele with Curt. A NEW site color theme, added more related links to the lessons, books, songs, and workshops.
- NEW • Added a Tuning page and Metronome page . Get in Tune and Play in Time!
NEW User Profile Access Menu
Members can now access their Favorites, Completed Lessons, Assets & Assignments and if a Private Student their Lesson Notes through a handy dandy dropdown menu by clicking on their profile avatar in the upper right hand corner of the page.
- UPDATED • Lessons — Checkout the Main Lessons Page and view by Last Updated for all the changes and updated lessons..
- NEW From the Performance Archives — Posted a few songs from previous performances.
- NEW User Profile Menu for accessing their Favorites, Completed Lessons, Assets & Assignments.
- The Annual Summer Site Cleanup for 2022 and, in the
biz, a re-factoring has started. Expect a lot of new goodness around LearningUkulele.com.
- NEW Summer (in the Northern Hemisphere) Theme • LearningUkulele.com is starting to look great.
- NEW Harmonica Section • The Harmonica is a great, portable, and unassuming instrument and fun to learn. Even more portable than our favorite instrument – the Ukulele.
- Ukulele Festivals pages has been updated with 2022 dates and NEW festivals. As, festivals are getting back to live, in-person festivals. I've slowly been updating and adding new festivals.
- Ukulele Strings
page has been updated. Fellow ukulele players are always asking
Can I get the strings you use?. Yes, you can — I'm packaging up my custom set that I've been using, for years and making them available thru our family music store, Funky Frets. Look for these over the next couple of weeks.
WOW!, I actually keep this up for a year — might actually keep it going.
- Ukulele Festivals Around the World page has been updated.
- Sheet Music And Music Collections page has been updated.
- All videos for the Triads and Alternating Thumb Fingerpicking workshops have been posted.
- Week One video added for: Triads — You Know More Than You Think has been uploaded.
- Videos added for: Learning the Ukulele Fingerboard & Bass for Ukulele Players workshops. The Learning the Ukulele Fingerboard is FREE to view.
- NEW Workshops Schedule & Going' Live Schedule for 2022.
- Getting ready for 2022 and a great new stuff coming to LearningUkulele.com.
- Search Pages Updated • The Lessons , Songs , Books , etc search pages have bee tweaked a bit ti reveal some of the features that an not that obvious. Such, as sorting by Updated items.
- Open Position Chords & Their Movable Forms • Updated a few of the lessons in this series and going over the series for more updates.
- Added my Moanin, Premium play-along Track , Moan', the Bobby Timmons, first recorded by Art Blakey's band on the 1958 album of the same title. The play-along is available to ALL Gold members.
- Reading Songs & Leadsheets • Playing music, especially the ukulele is all about getting together with others and playing songs. Reading music opens you to a world of music beyond the ukulele. And, It's not as hard as you might think to read chord charts, leadsheets, fake books, and learning your way through a song's roadmap.
- The Lessons , Series , Books , Songs , Songs , and Songs , search pages have been update with more sorting.
- UPDATED: Jammin' Pages have been updates. This is the section where you can learn all about Jamulus , Latency , and Open Mic and Jam Etiquette .
- Added: Berkshire County Uke Fest - Oct 17, 2021 to Ukulele Festivals. Fest is held at: HiLo North Adams, 55 Union St., North Adams, MA 01247 USA
- Search Pages Updated: The Lessons , Lesson Series , Songs , Playalongs , Books , and, Videos search pages have been update to use the latest version of the Open-Source search engine, MeiliSearch, an open source, blazing fast and hyper relevant search-engine that I use to enhance your LearningUkulele experience.
- Updated: Setting Up Your Ukulele: Action, Intonation — A description of the terms you'll most likely encounter regarding the setup and maintenance of your ukulele. And, you can learn to do a lot more yourself than you would think.
- UPDATED Series: Triads - Traditional and Contemporary Triads and Introduction to Soloing on `Ukulele Using Scales and Triads Plus One lessons series has been updated.
- NEW: lesson series added on Piano for Ukulele Players . Have you ever been walking by a piano and just wanted to play something?
- Updated Ukulele Festivals: Several up-coming ukulele festivals scheduled for the remainder of 2021 have gone virtual, implemented COVID protocols, or canceled. Your own Funky Frets Uke Fest that our family music store runs in Boyertown, PA USA had to cancel for 2021. Checkout the Ukulele Festivals Around the World listings and calendar to get the latest information regarding the any particular festival and be sure to check the festivals website for he latest and most update information of that festival.
- NEW: lesson added on Voice Leading . Voice Leading is the smooth connection of one chord to another. The concept is pretty simple and only has two (2) principles. This makes the 699 lesson on LearningUkulele.com, Learning Ukulele with Curt. One more to go for 700.
- NEW: Added
barreto the Glossary of Music Terms .
- Updated: The History of the `Ukulele
page. There several great books available on the history, the instruments, and the adventures of the ukulele available and worth checking out. Added the book:
The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument That Helped Create a Guitar Giant. I have this book it is a really good history of Martin GUitar and the Ukulele.
- Updated: The Six Secrets of Ukulele Fingering book. A bunch of the examples have been fixed - especially the Contraction examples. Download the new updated book if you this book and you should have this book t you really want to learn how t=oe navigate the ukulele fingerboard and take advantage of all the possible pathways possible.
- Added Amy Kucharik , a Massachusetts based Singer-Songwriter to the Ukulele Musicians and Ukulele Teachers pages.
- The Monthly Site Access Plan is back.
- The Monthly Site Access Plan is back.
- Types of Chords Available on `Ukulele updated with some new information. Chords are what we do the most of on ukulele.
- One-on-One Private Lessons with Curt. • Book a private lessons or series of lessons with Curt.
- Updated Ukulele Festivals pages. • Updated festival listings for 2021 and beyond.
- New Page: • Open Mic Etiquette page. • Here are few tips to joining in on an Open Mic, Jam Session, Kanakapila — virtual or in-person.
- Updated: • Amplifying Your Ukulele: Pickups page. • "Passive, Active, Electric" – Just what does all that have to do with getting my ukulele louder? This page goes a long way in helping you understand just what is involved in getting your ukulele louder.
- New Page: • Jazz Ukulele: Additional page. • The Jazz Guitar community has a wealth of knowledge and resources that we can draw from. This new page will highlights a few of the better resources that I have come across. My original two web sites that I created that ultimately morphed in LearningUkulele.com where my original guitarresources.com and jazzguitarresources.com.
Up To March 2021
There have been a lot of changes, tweaks and new information added to LearningUkulele.com. So take a look around and see what you can find.