The `ukulele (/juːkəˈleɪliː/ yoo-kə-LAY-lee, from Hawaiian: ʻukulele [ˈʔukuˈlɛlɛ] (oo-koo-leh-leh); variant: ukelele) is a member of the lute family of instruments. It generally employs four nylon or gut strings or four courses of strings. Some strings may be paired in courses, giving the instrument a total of six or eight strings.
A `Ukulele is:
- Light Weight, Portable, and Affordable
- Easy on the Fingers with Four Strings and Four Fingers - a perfect match
- Less Need for Strumming Accuracy
- There isn't a lot expected from a ukulele player
- And, Where else can you go and jam with like minded friends, play poorly, sing poorly, and have a blast.
The music you play can be as simple or complex as you want. The Ukulele is a powerful musical instrument for communication and expression in its own right.
And, did I mention it’s a lot of fun to play and explore.
Common types of ukuleles include:.
Less common are the sopranino (also called piccolo, bambino, or "pocket uke"), Bass , and contrabass ukuleles. The soprano, often called "standard" in Hawaii, is the smallest and was the original size. The concert size was developed in the 1920s as an enhanced soprano, slightly larger and louder with a deeper tone. Shortly thereafter, the tenor was created, having more volume and deeper bass tone. The baritone ( resembling a smaller tenor guitar ) was created in the 1940s, and the contrabass and bass are recent innovations (2010 and 2014, respectively).
Super Tenors, Long Neck ( insert uke size here )
There is a trend of putting the next sized uke's scale length next uke on and called it a "sup" or "long next" so and so uke.
A Super Tenor is a tenor uke with a 19in Baritone uke and using C Tuning.
Often called "standard" in Hawaii.
Standard - this is the size that most people not already familiar with the ukulele family of instruments.
- Typical Length: 21 in (53 cm). This is helpful if yu need a gigbag or case.
- Scale Length (range): 13in (330mm), 14in (356mm)
- No. Frets: 10 to 12
- Common Tunings: G4 C4 E4 A4
- Alternate Tunings: G3 C4 E4 A4 ("Low" G), A4 D4 F♯4 B4
- String Tension (approx.): 21 lbs
Here is a Lesson on Selecting a Soprano `Ukulele .
Super Soprano, Alto
This is the next size up from the standard soprano ukulele. The concert size was developed in the 1920s as an enhanced soprano, slightly larger and louder with a deeper tone. Actually created to be louder in un-amplified situations as was typical in the 1920s and 30s.
- Typical Length: 23 in (58 cm). This is helpful if yu need a gigbag or case.
- Scale Length (range): 15in (381mm), 16in (406mm)
- No. Frets: 15 to 18
- Common Tunings: C Tuning: G4 C4 E4 A4, D Tuning: A4 D4 F♯4 B4
- Alternate Tunings: C Tuning: G3 C4 E4 A4 ("Low" G), D Tuning: A3 D4 F♯4 B4("Low" A)
- String Tension (approx.): 33 lbs
Here is a Lesson on Selecting a Concert `Ukulele .
Taro patch, Liliʻu
Created shortly after the concert ukulele was introduced.
- Typical Length: 26 in (66 cm). This is helpful if yu need a gigbag or case.
- Scale Length (range): 17in (432mm), 19in (482mm)
- No. Frets: 17–20
- Common Tunings: C Tuning: G4 C4 E4 A4 ("High" G), G3 C4 E4 A4 ("Low" G)
- Alternate Tunings: D Tuning: A4 D4 F♯4 B4 ("High" A), A3 D4 F♯4 B4 ("Low" A)
- String Tension (approx.): 40 lbs
Here is a Lesson on Selecting a Tenor `Ukulele .
Resembling a smaller tenor guitar was created in the 1940s. Author Godfery's instrument of choice.
- Typical Length: 29 in (74 cm). This is helpful if yu need a gigbag or case.
- Scale Length (range): 19in (482mm), 20in (508mm)
- No. Frets: 18 to 22
- Common Tunings: G Tuning: D3 G3 B3 E4
- Alternate Tunings: C Tuning: G4 C4 E4 A4 ("High" G), G3 C4 E4 A4 ("Low" G)
- String Tension (approx.): 52 lbs
Here is a Lesson on Selecting a Baritone `Ukulele .
Site Access Plans for LearningUkulele.com
Forever Access - With Forever Premium Access you get Unlimited 24/7 access to ALL lessons, downloads, songs, play-along jam tracks, videos, email access to Curt, resources and related assets. As well as ALL books by Curt as FREE downloads. Pretty much everything on the site and NEVER worry about a subscription or surprise payment again. And jump the queue for my responding to any questions.
Basic Access - A limited selection of basic lessons — ( currently over 140 ) and 100+ songs for ukulele as well as basic general music reference material — Completely FREE — Simply Register/Signup. HOWEVER - I've been doing ukulele and LearningUkulele.com since 2003 and probably have given too much away already - as reflected in my income from the site in relationship to the time spent on the site. So help support this site and its continued development by signing up for one of the below Premium Access Plans or buy a few of my books. - Thanks, Curt
NOTE: Each higher access level includes ALL the benefits of the lower levels. Private Lessons include all the benefits of a Premium Access Plans as long as you remain a student on the schedule.
Just browsing over both books, they look fantastic! I'm a guitarist and uke player for over 25 years and was thinking about writing a ukulele book but you've already written what I think are the best, most comprehensive and thorough books I've ever seen for the instrument. I just might end up buying every book you've written and I'll be giving my highest recommendation for your books to my friends and students. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such great books! — Peter Rhee
Aloha, Curt, All I can say is WOW! What you have accomplished is simply incredible! All the best — Glen Hirabayashi, The Aloha Boys
Folks, if you haven't stopped by Curt's site, do so right now! ..And get his books, they are fantastic. This guy knows his stuff and is able to pass it along too. — Alan Johnson Proprietor, The 4th Peg
I can highly recommend Curt's Uke books — I have four of them and they are excellent. — fatveg — Portland
Thanks for visiting and checking out the site!
Original Curtie Animation from 1987 for my first web site on a Macintosh II.
33 years ago.
“Built for myself (Curt), and sharing with the `Ukulele community!”
LearningUkulele.com has one of the largest collections of lessons, songs, and TABS, luthiers, ukulele builders, ukulele festival and club information, and, ukulele links on the web. I’ve been on the ®Internet since the early 1990's and This site just never stops growing!!!
Content is added and updated almost daily - so check back often.