Getting the most out of your practice sessions.
- Establish a long term musical goal, and keep it in mind at each practice session.
- Focus on your weaknesses, not on your strengths. Work only on the weaknesses that are relevant to your long term musical goal (Principle No. 1).
- Set a short term goal before each practice session so you know how the first 10 minutes will be used before you start.
- Practice what you don't know, NOT what you do know.
- If it sounds good, it's not practice, and it doesn't count towards your practice session.
- Don't practice anything wrong; not one single note or one beat. When in doubt, triple check the note or beat, and then check it again.
- Don't play pieces or songs through from beginning until end; work on parts or pieces of songs.
- Leave your instrument out, or, if you're a singer, leave your music out on a music stand, in a place where you will see it every day.
- Practice for at least 10 minutes every day. If you miss days, don't give up. Just get back on schedule.
- Don't practice the same thing, in the same order, that you did the day before.
End of Lesson - Thanks, Hope You Enjoyed It!
Related Lessons for Practice Principles at this time.
This is a lesson with practice tips for getting the most out of each of the blues progressions in my book A to Z Blues Chord Progressions for Ukulele.
Chuck Anderson wrote a great blog entry about the three words Play, Practice and Theory that send the wrong message to players and the general public.
Related Lesson Files, Resources and Assets
Related Assets for Practice Principles at this time.
Related Lesson Books
Related Books for Practice Principles at this time.
Related Lesson Series
Related Lessons Series for Practice Principles at this time.
Related Songs for Practice Principles at this time.
Related Videos for Practice Principles.
disqus displayed in production only!!!
FREE Bronze Plan - A limited selection of basic lessons ( currently over 140 ) and 100+ songs for ukulele as well as basic general music reference material — Completely FREE — Simply Register/Signup to access associated lessons, books, songs and their related assets.
Forever Premium Gold Plan - The Forever/Gold Premium Plan gives you access to ALL lessons, downloads, songs, play-along jam tracks, videos, email access to Curt, resources and related assets. As well as ALL books by Curt Sheller as FREE downloads. Pretty much everything on the site and NEVER worry about a subscription or surprise payment due. And from of the que for responding to any questions.
NOTE: Each higher membership level includes ALL the benefits of the lower membership levels.
The Private Lesson Plans include all the benefits of a Premium Access Plans as long as you remain a student on on the schedule.
Just browsing over both books, they look fantastic! I'm a guitarist and uke player for over 25 years and was thinking about writing a ukulele book but you've already written what I think are the best, most comprehensive and thorough books I've ever seen for the instrument. I just might end up buying every book you've written and I'll be giving my highest recommendation for your books to my friends and students. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such great books! — Peter Rhee
Aloha, Curt, All I can say is WOW! What you have accomplished is simply incredible! All the best — Glen Hirabayashi, The Aloha Boys
Folks, if you haven't stopped by Curt's site, do so right now! ..And get his books, they are fantastic. This guy knows his stuff and is able to pass it along too. — Alan Johnson Proprietor, The 4th Peg
I can highly recommend Curt's Uke books — I have four of them and they are excellent. — fatveg — Portland
Thanks for visiting and checking out the site!
Original Curtie Animation - 1987 for my first web site
32 years ago.
LearningUkulele.com has one of the largest collections of lessons, songs, and TABS, luthiers, ukulele builders, ukulele festival and club information, and, ukulele links on the web. I’ve been on the ®Internet since the early 1990's and This site just never stops growing!!!
Content is added and updated almost daily - so check back often.