Showing 12 of 61 sample page(s).
Download a Printable PDF file • Each PDF file is a formatted high resolution file that prints out great.
You will need Adobe Reader or a PDF viewing application to view your PDF file.
A Guide to Guitar Chords
Author(s): Curt Sheller
Publisher(s): Curt Sheller Publications
Size: 8.5 x 11
Covers basic guitar chords for beginning to intermediate guitar students. These are the chords that ALL guitar should know - regardless of style.
After playing guitar for over 40 years and teaching guitar for 20 years I saw that most guitar players struggle with movable chords forms and the more advanced chords commonly called â€œjazzâ€ chords.
Seeing that there was a lack of clear, concise and an organized presentation of material for guiding one through the maze of chords for the guitar. I decided to create just such a text.
This book provides a guide to the common basic open position chords all guitar players should know, an introduction to movable chord forms and more advanced 4-part jazz chords.
This book is designed as a guide to guitar chords. Covering basic open position guitar chords, movable chord forms, rock chords, how to transpose chords, learning the guitar fingerboard and an introduction to 4-part â€œjazzâ€ chords and more... It is proven material developed over the years from my private teaching and extensive research, study and application.
From a few basic chord shapes and a understanding of how chords are constructed your chord vocabulary can be dramatically increased without memorizing countless more chord shapes. There are too many chord shapes to memorize.
This book will take the mystery out playing and understanding chords on the guitar.
Table of Contents: A Guide to Guitar Chords
- Introduction 3
- Open Position Chords 7
- The Guitar Chord Diagram 8
- Movable Barre Forms 15
- “E/F” Barre Form 16
- “A/Bb” Barre Form 17
- “C/Db” Movable Form 18
- sus, add9 and Power 5 Chords 19
- Neutral Chords 20
- Barre Chords Fret Chart Summary 21
- Root & Fifth Chart 22
- Movable Triad Chord Forms 23
- Major Triads • String Family 1 2 3 & 2 3 4 24
- Minor Triads • String Family 1 2 3 & 2 3 4 24
- Diminished Triads • String Family 1 2 3 & 2 3 4 25
- Augmented Triads • String Family 1 2 3 & 2 3 4 25
- Tips for Remembering Triads 26
- Movable 4-Part Chord Forms 27
- Movable 7th Chords at Fret (1) • String Family 1 2 3 4 28
- Generic • Movable 7th Chords • String Family 1 2 3 4 28
- Additional 7th Movable Chord Forms 28
- Movable 7th Chords at Fret (1) • String Family 2 3 4 6 29
- Movable 7th Chords at Fret (1) • String Family 3 4 5 6 29
- Tips for Remembering 4-Part Chords 30
- 4-Part “Jazz” Chord Forms 31
- What is a Chord? 32
- A Few Chord Building Rules 33
- Creating the 4 Basic Chord Types 34
- Building More Advanced Chords 35
- Scale Interval Formula Chart 38
- Suggested Learning Order 40
- Transposing Chords & Progressions 43
- How to Transpose Chords 44
- Practice Chord Progressions 47
- Orlando Blues 48
- WC Swing 49
- Learning the Guitar Fingerboard 51
- Reference or Key Frets 51
- Enharmonic equivalents 53
- Sharps to Flats 53
- Flats to Sharps 53
- Standard Tuning Natural & Sharp Notes 54
- Standard Tuning Natural & Flat Notes 55
- Conclusion 57
Errata: A Guide to Guitar Chords
- 12/26/2004 - (20041226.1.1) Error on page 21 fixed. C/Db should be same as A/Bb column.
The latest download ( PDF or eBook ) always has the latest changes and errata changes incorporated and contain the most up-to-date version of the file. If you download the book from LearningUkulele.com you'll be notified when there is a new version of the book available.
disqus displayed in production only!!!
FREE Bronze Plan - A limited selection of basic lessons ( currently over 140 ) and 100+ songs for ukulele as well as basic general music reference material — Completely FREE — Simply Register/Signup to access associated lessons, books, songs and their related assets.
Forever Premium Gold Plan - The Forever/Gold Premium Plan gives you access to ALL lessons, downloads, songs, play-along jam tracks, videos, email access to Curt, resources and related assets. As well as ALL books by Curt Sheller as FREE downloads. Pretty much everything on the site and NEVER worry about a subscription or surprise payment due. And from of the que for responding to any questions.
NOTE: Each higher membership level includes ALL the benefits of the lower membership levels.
The Private Lesson Plans include all the benefits of a Premium Access Plans as long as you remain a student on on the schedule.
Just browsing over both books, they look fantastic! I'm a guitarist and uke player for over 25 years and was thinking about writing a ukulele book but you've already written what I think are the best, most comprehensive and thorough books I've ever seen for the instrument. I just might end up buying every book you've written and I'll be giving my highest recommendation for your books to my friends and students. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such great books! — Peter Rhee
Aloha, Curt, All I can say is WOW! What you have accomplished is simply incredible! All the best — Glen Hirabayashi, The Aloha Boys
Folks, if you haven't stopped by Curt's site, do so right now! ..And get his books, they are fantastic. This guy knows his stuff and is able to pass it along too. — Alan Johnson Proprietor, The 4th Peg
I can highly recommend Curt's Uke books — I have four of them and they are excellent. — fatveg — Portland
Thanks for visiting and checking out the site!
Original Curtie Animation - 1987 for my first web site
32 years ago.
LearningUkulele.com has one of the largest collections of lessons, songs, and TABS, luthiers, ukulele builders, ukulele festival and club information, and, ukulele links on the web. I’ve been on the ®Internet since the early 1990's and This site just never stops growing!!!
Content is added and updated almost daily - so check back often.