Songs Using a Common 1 5 6 4 Chord Progression
There's actually a lot common between songs when it comes to chord progressions. Here is an every growing list of songs that use the common 1 5 6 4 full diatonic chord progression. Full Diatonic means all the chords in the progression come from the same scale based on the 1 chord of the progression.
This common progression is ofter called the Pop progression.
If the 1 5 6 4 progression where in the key of C major the 1 6 4 5 chords are: C G Am F. For the key of G major the 1 5 6 4 chords are: G D Em C.
- A Ha - Take On Me
- Akon - Beautiful
- Akon - Don't Matter
- Alphaville - Forever Young
- Andrea Bocelli - Time To Say Goodbye
- Aqua - Barbie Girl
- Avril Lavigne - Complicated
- Beyonce - If I Were A Boy
- Black Eyed Peas - Where Is the Love
- Bob Dylan - Wagon Wheel
- Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry
- Bon Jovi - It's My Life
- Dammit - Blink 182
- Dog Party - Best Friends
- Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
- Elton John - Can You Feel The Love Tonight (from The Lion King)
- Eminem featuring Rihanna - Love the Way You Lie
- Five for Fighting - Superman
- Green Day - When I Come Around
- Jack Johnson - Taylor
- James Blunt - You're Beautiful
- Jason DeRulo - In My Head
- Jason Mraz - I'm Yours
- Joan Osborne - One Of Us
- John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads
- Journey - Don't Stop Believing
- Kelly Clarkson - Behind These Hazel Eyes
- Lady Gaga - Paparazzi
- Lady Gaga - Pokerface
- Lavern and Shirley TV Theme
- Lynard Skynard - Simple Man
- Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy
- Maroon Five - She Will Be Loved
- Men At Work - Land Down Under
- MGMT - Kids
- Missy Higgins - Scar
- Plain White Tees - 1234
- Red Hot Chili Peppers - Otherside
- Regina Spector - The Call
- Robert Burns - Auld Lang Syne
- Spice Girls - Two Become One
- The Axis of Awesome - Birdplane
- The Beatles - Let It Be
- The Calling - Wherever You Will Go
- The Gregory Brothers - Double Rainbow
- The Last Goodnight - Pictures of You
- The Offspring - Self Esteem
- The Offspring - You're Gonna Go Far Kid
- The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings
- Theme from America's Funniest Home Videos
- Timberland featuring OneRepublic - Apologize
- Toto - Africa
- Train - Hey Soul Sister
- U2 - With Or Without You
Songs that part of the songs are using this progression.
- American Pie
- The Call - Regina Spektor
- Say - John Mayer, from the movie The Bucket List
- The Show - Lenka
- Over the Rainbow**
Here's a web site that has links to videos of many of the songs on this list.
As you can see you can learn quite a few songs by simply learning common chord progressions in all 15 keys. Especially the common keys of C, G, D, E, A. And on ukulele F and Bb are also common.
All 15 Keys ( 1 5 6 4 )
- |C | G/B* | Am | F |
- |G | G | D/F# | Em | C |
- |D | D | A/C# | Bm | G |
- |A | A | E/G# | F#m | D |
- |E | E | B/D# | C#m | A |
- |B | B | F#/A# | G#m | E |
- |F#/b> | F# | C#/E# | D#m | B |
- |C#/b> | C# | G#/B# | A#m | F# |
- |F | F* | C/E | Dm | Bb |
- |Bb | Bb | F/A# | Gm | Eb |
- |Eb | Eb | Bb/D | Gm | Ab |
- |Ab | Ab | Eb/G | Fm | Db |
- |Db | Db | Ab/C | Bbm | Gb |
- |Gb | Gb | Db/F | Ebm | Cb |
- |Cb | Cb | Gb/Bb | Abm | Fb |
Slash Chords - A slash chord is indication that a chord voicing with the note after the slash should be the bass note of the voicing. In the case of this common 1 5 6 4 progression is creates a descending bass line. On ukulele unless you using a low string four tuning slash chord are commonly ignored and the fundamental chord, the name before the slash are played.
End of Lesson - Thanks, Hope You Enjoyed It!
Harmonic Analysis Major and Minor Chord Charts
All 15 full diatonic major and minor key, chord charts.
Log-in to access.
Harmonic Analysis Lesson Series
Harmonic Analysis ( HA ) is the process used to determine the harmonic function of chords within a chord progression. A chord progression is defined as a sequence of chords, each chord has a root and has a particular chord type. The relationship of a chord's root to a scale determines its function within that scale's tonality. Once a chord's function is identified, scale selections along with chord and scale substitutions can be made. This process is called Root Movement Analysis ( RMA ).
Harmonic Analysis - Full Diatonic
Harmonic Analysis is the understanding of the functional sequence of chords. It is the process used to analyze the harmonic structure of a progression, song or composition. This analysis is then used to make scale selections for improvisation and chord substitution. This lesson covers the Full Diatonic harmonic principle.
Listening to songs and wanting to play the same songs on ukulele - that's what draws most people to the ukulele. That and it looks like a load of fun and easy too play - which it is. Then you need to actually remember the songs that you're learning so you can play them again. And, hopefully not have to read them off a sheet all the time.
Harmonic Analysis for Scale Selection and Chord Substitution
Harmonic Analysis is the understanding of the functional sequence of chords. It is the process used to analyze the harmonic structure of a progression, song or composition. This analysis is then used to make scale selections for improvisation and chord substitution.
Learning the similarities between chord progressions and songs helps you remember a lot of songs. There's a lot more in common between songs than one might think.
The types of chords possible on ukulele include open position chords, movable form chords, 4-part chords, a.k.a. jazz chords and free from chords.
These are the chord progressions, extracted from my book Exploring Jazz Chords on Ukulele for use with on-line and private students.
Modular Phonetic Rhythm represents a significant advance in the teaching and application of rhythm. Eliminating many inefficient aspects of rhythm education, Modular Phonetic Rhythm streamlines the traditional educational approach, resulting in a reflexive reaction to rhythm.
No related songs for Songs Using a Common 1 5 6 4 Chord Progression at this time.
No videos for Songs Using a Common 1 5 6 4 Chord Progression at this time. Filming a lot of videos for various lessons, songs and books.
FREE Plan - A limited selection of basic lessons ( currently over 140 ) and 100+ songs for ukulele as well as basic general music reference material — Completely FREE — Simply Register/Signup to access associated lessons, books, songs and their related assets.
NOTE: Each higher membership level includes ALL the benefits of each of the lower levels of membership. The Private Lesson Plans include all the benefits of the Premium Access Plans
Just browsing over both books, they look fantastic! I'm a guitarist and uke player for over 25 years and was thinking about writing a ukulele book but you've already written what I think are the best, most comprehensive and thorough books I've ever seen for the instrument. I just might end up buying every book you've written and I'll be giving my highest recommendation for your books to my friends and students. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such great books! — Peter Rhee
Aloha, Curt, All I can say is WOW! What you have accomplished is simply incredible! All the best — Glen Hirabayashi, The Aloha Boys
Folks, if you haven't stopped by Curt's site, do so right now! ..And get his books, they are fantastic. This guy knows his stuff and is able to pass it along too. — Alan Johnson Proprietor, The 4th Peg
I can highly recommend Curt's Uke books — I have four of them and they are excellent. — fatveg — Portland
Thanks for visiting and checking out the site!
Original Curtie Animation - 1987 for my first web site
31 years ago years ago.
Content is added and updated almost daily - so check back often.
LearningUkulele.com has one of the largest collections of lessons, songs, and TABS, luthiers, ukulele builders, ukulele festival and club information, and, ukulele links on the web. I’ve been on the ®Internet since the early 1990's and This site just never stops growing!!!